Quick, healthy, and freezable
Your freezer is a bit of an unsung hero in your kitchen. And when it comes to healthy eating, it can be the key to avoiding the pitfalls that sabotage your meal plan. A little prep work on the front end goes a long way in keeping your goals on track.
Nearly everything can be frozen and brought back to life. Most of the nutrients are preserved, and if you bring things back to temperature slowly instead of nuking them in the microwave, the taste won't suffer either.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite freezer meals to get you started. This Cilantro Lime Chicken & Lentils recipe makes for a quick, healthy meal with enough protein to keep you satisfied.
Cilantro Lime Chicken & Lentils
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 3 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth (can add at cook time)
- Wash and chop vegetables
- Dice chicken
- Freeze all ingredients together in a freezer-safe container or bag. (You can include the chicken broth now or add it during the cooking.)
- When you’re ready to enjoy this meal, remove it from the freezer and cook it in a pressure cooker for about 25-30 minutes or a slow cooker on low for 6 hours (thaw ingredients first before using a slow cooker).
Check out the full recipe and other freezer meals here.